Editors Note: This is the first blog post by UnRoadWarrior’s first co-blogger – The Nomad. I would like to welcome him to the blog. Do leave a comment and make him feel welcome.
Major changes are coming to United’s (and of course the merged Continental’s) Mileage Plus Award Charts from June 15, 2011. Most sectors see a 5k to 10K increase in miles needed for round trip awards apart from domestic awards. From the point of view of economy passengers, I would say this is not really a good change. Most business and elite passengers will though, probably be elated by the decrease in award miles required for Europe and Asia trips.
Here’s is the United PR speak:
Here are some examples of what will be changing:
- We will lower the mileage requirement for domestic award trips that are less than 700 miles one way. OnePass members have enjoyed this benefit, and now Mileage Plus members can, too.
- Some destinations will be included in different regions. Most notably, Mexico will become its own region instead of being considered part of Central America.
- Some United and Star Alliance™ Award amounts will go up; however many popular award routes, including North America to Hawaii and the Caribbean, will remain the same.
- Some Mileage Plus Upgrade Award and Star Alliance™ Upgrade Award amounts will increase.
Here are some of the main differences in the new Mileage Plus Chart that I can see (miles are for one-way awards, double for roundtrip and standard one-way, Y-economy, C-Business, F-first)
- Award for domestic destinations <700miles will be available for 10K miles in Y. Down from 12.5K
- Southern South America to Central America will be 17.5K, 30K, 40K in Y, C, F . Down from 25k,40K, 50k
- US/CANADA/ALASKA to Europe will be 50K in C. Down from 52.5K.
- US/ CANADA/ALASKA to North Asia/South Asia will be 60k, 70K in C, F. Down from 62.5K,72.5K.
- Northern South America to US/CANADA/ALASKA will be 20K miles in Y, up from 17.5K.
- Central America to Hawaii will be 37.5K, 47.5K in C,F up from 35k,42.5K.
- Caribbean to Caribbean awards are 17.5K, 30K, 40K in Y, C, F. Up from 15K, 22.5k, 30K.
- Caribbean to Hawaii will be 37.5K, 47.5K in C,F up from 35k,42.5K.
- Southern South America to US/CANADA/ALASKA/Hawaii will be 30K in Y, up from 27.5K.
- Southern South America to Caribbean will be 30K, 50K, 62.5K in Y, C, F . Up from 25k,45,55k
- US/CANADA/ALASKA to Europe will be 30k in Y. Up from 27.5K.
- Europe to Southern South America will be 47.5K in Y. Up from 45K.
- US/CANADA/ALASKA to Japan will be 62.5K in C. Up from 60K.
- US/CANADA/ALASKA to Middle East/Africa will be 40K, 60K, 75k in Y, C, F. Up from 37.5k.57.5k, 72.5K.
- North Asia to South Asia will be 15k, 22.5K in Y,C up from 10k, 15K.
Will keep updating this as I notice more changes.